As we transition into the fall season, the temperature will begin to drop. Small rodents will no longer be able to withstand the cold, pushing them to find warm and inviting places to live. Unfortunately for you, this also means your home. If you’re worried this may be the case in your house, check out these tips for keeping the little buggers out!
- Keep indoor food sealed! During the cooler months, rodent’s food source will become scarce, forcing them inside to look for their next meal. To avoid their temptation, be sure to keep food sealed in containers, and don’t leave any pet food sitting out overnight. While you could use cardboard and plastic containers, rodents are able to chew through this. Consider using glass or metal as a safer option.
- Remove outside food sources. Try not to leave your trash bags sitting outside for a long time, and be sure to keep them sealed! Other sources of food include garden fruits and vegetables, birdseed and outdoor pet food. Be sure to clean up on a weekly basis, and consider investing in fencing to make food harder to reach.
- Clean up areas around your house. It’s not just the food they’re attracted to! They also love wood piles, building material, piles of leaves and overgrown plants. To avoid the nesting of these habitats, elevate materials at least a foot off the ground, and away from your house. Trim the trees, bushes and plants as well!
- Patch up holes! This is where the rodents have access to your home. Hardware cloth is a good option to patch up any spots. Check under your deck, dryer and stove vents. Also check the weather stripping around the windows and doors for damage. Metal stripping is the best option since rats can’t chew through it.
- Spray em’! A great repellent to spray is Shake-Away Mouse Repellent. It’s chemical free, safe for your family and contains a mixture of natural oils that rodents find repulsive.
Need some extra assistance with rodent control? Critter Busters has your back! Give us a call at 404-372-1645. We serve the Greater Atlanta Area with all your pest control needs!